Friday, April 8, 2011

Dreams

It's only 11:57 PM and I'm off to shower! Once I'm out, I'll hop into my bed and doze off into the dream world, and return to the real world, not remembering a thing. Tomorrows goin' to be a pain! Tri-Quarter Exam in Precalculus, I doubt it's going to be fun. I just realized I haven't completed my history homework. Guess I'm going to have to stay up a bit.

Enough with this stream of conscious; shall I confer to you what I've been theorizing all my life? All my life I've been intrigued with dreams and their intricateness. I have had the greatest lust for experience of being able to control a dream. I knew in the "dream world" I could not get hurt, because my body existing in the real world is laying safely in bed. Being of young age, just like any most other American children, I loved Dragon Ball Z, and other actiony televised programs. Knowing that I could not get physically hurt in a dream, I had came to the conclusion that I could do ANYTHING in a dream and nothing could stop me. This lead to more theorizing as I grew, I had developed the idea around age 10 that if I could not get hurt, I could do things I wouldn't dare do in real life, go on running riots, rob banks, commit crimes, save princess peach from bowser, etc. Now, after six years, I am still yet to be able to control a dream entirely, I would not realize that I was dreaming, my minds perception would be that "this is reality". BUT (I assume because my mind has developed, and I have attained a state of higher intellect) recently, I have begun to actually "control" my dreams and do what I want. The only problem is, when I do come to such realization, I begin to awake.

My theory, after several dreams to prove it, is:

One can control his/her own dream, but while one realizes s/he is dreaming and begins to control it, s/he is processing thoughts in the brain, and in doing so blood/oxygen travel to the brain.

As the brain is initiating in the process of thoughts, the brain is AWAKENING.

It is depressing to come to a conclusion that while "controlling" your dream, you awaken almost instantly afterwards.. In other words, you cannot "control" your dream for lengthy periods.

What do you think?

38 comments:

John said...

I've never been able to control my dreams myself. Once I remember thinking it must have been a dream (it was a nightmare) so I tried to make myself wake up. I it worked after a bit, but it wasn't instant. I really wish I had come up with this idea on my own. Would have loved to discuss this myself but that'd be stealing :(

Slamcakes said...

This is like the 4th blog that has mentioned lucid dreaming, I feel like I'm missing out on something fun :(

Efflorescence said...

I've had a few lucid dreams. One I didn't wake at all while controlling it. In fact, when I tried waking up it took a really long time for me to be able to wake up. A few other times I've realised I was dreaming first, controlled it for a while, then forgot I was dreaming and the dream just ran it's course. My favourite lucid dream was when I was having one of my average nightmares, and then JUST as I was about to get stabbed I realised it was a dream, and tried to change the scene and it worked :D. Various other random things happened, was quite fun.

I haven't had any lucid dreams in a while unfortunately.

Z Man said...

Haha, Slamcakes, I read one and it actually sparked the idea for this blog. So this is called "Lucid" dreaming? Lucid meaning clear and all.. I learn something new today :)!

Z Man said...

@Aqueous: I know how you feel, I've only had lucid dreams over the summer/ during relaxed periods. Finals and AP Exams coming up are limiting them. A limiting factor on dreams is definitely stress.

Unknown said...

When lucid dreaming you have to first stabilize your dream otherwise yes, you'll wake up. There are a few techniques you can find online.

Fix PC Games Admin said...

sometimes I'm lucid dreaming and can control it

Clueless Dolphin said...

start a diary and write about your dreams every time immediately after you wake up... you will start to realize WHEN you are dreaming then you can control it

der said...

I never remember my dreams. Always wake up long after REM sleep has ended.

The Rob said...

Lucid dreaming is a weird concept. Never got it to work for me.

Player 2 said...

Yea, i never did get this to work, but i actually like the concept dude!

DogShep said...

Luced dreaming is pretty awesome in theory. But I've heard a lot of bad things can happen when you do that kind of stuff.

john178 said...

thinking about dreams always makes my head hurt. interesting to think about though.

Mike said...

I wish I could do lucid dreaming.

-M- said...

I don't even remember the last time I dreamt.
Btw, have you watched the Inception yet?

Anonymous said...

Lucid dreaming would be amazing...

Solomander said...

I discovered lucid dreaming using my watch. I used to check my watch all the time, almost to the point that I looked nervous haha.

One day, I was in the middle of a dream and, because it had become such a repetitive activity in everyday life, looked at my watch... I noticed that the time read something like 46:71 or something...

My brain said "wait a minute, that isn't possible... HOLY SHIT, I'm dreaming!" Next thing I know, I'm totally self-aware in my dreams. It really kicks ass haha.

Fred Junxs said...

You can train it. I've been doing it for more than two years now and it works maybe 1/4 of the times.

Whereas said...

this is interesting.
wonder if it will help.

Snox said...

you gotta practice to do this!

Nate said...

Lucid drems are amazing. Been trying to have them for ages.

Admin said...

I heard if you keep a dream journal, you remember your dreams a lot better. Why?

Unknown said...

Believe me. I tried this as a kid myself! It doesn't seem as if you'd ever be able to control your dream without just waking up..

cool_cicler said...

Daydreaming is not a crime man.

Aaron M. Gipson said...

Frist of all, you CAN control your dreams. This is something I have been working on for some time now.

Chris Prendergast said...

Intrestin I love dreams and all the theories that go with it, it's probably why I liked Inception so much. Your experience seems to fit the regular things people say about realizing that you are dreaming and then you're lucid dreaming, but try as I might, I've never been able to do so.

Drej said...

Why does everybody care about dreaming so much...

Alexandra said...

isnt this lucid dreaming? Never experienced this, but wanted to. My boyfriend actaully told me he had a couple of lucid dreams and he loves it. lol
followed
http://ttroton.blogspot.com/

Mike said...

This is like Inception.

Canon said...

I've always wanted to be able to lucid dream too. There are many guides online that I will have to try out in the summer break ;D

fabio_2007 said...

Lucid dreaming is so awesome

Larkhill said...

ive thought about lucid dreaming but i think id get too into it and lose the fun of having random and crazy dreams

Lemonside said...

I think lucid dreaming would be fun but when you get the hang of it you would miss the old dreams where you dont know what'll happen and wake up early in the morning thinking "what was that?"

Z Man said...

@Cafe La Douleur : well.. I mean I don't remember these "old" dreams, so it wouldn't matter to me.

ds said...

I had one lucid dream when I was younger and it was cool. Have never been able to do it again though.

hedgehogger said...

I usually wake up too when I'm about to control the dream.

SOMS said...

I would say it's a pretty accurate description u wrote there.

Marian said...

everybody seems to be writing about dreams now. lucid dreaming is something i've been trying to do, but i could never achieve it. i'm still trying though, maybe i'll get there.